West Central Mountains Economic Development Council
September 5, 2019, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Idaho First Bank – McCall
Members in Attendance: Sherry Maupin (President), Cynda Herrick (Secretary, VP), Lindsay Harris/Jill Chapman (telephonically), Linnea Hall, Heather Soelberg (telephonically), Thom Sowers, Dylan Martin, Patty Wold (telephonically) and Andrew Mentzer (Executive Director).
Members Absent: Dave Bingaman, Gene Tyler, Nicole Musgrove, and Julie Good (Treasurer).
Agenda: Welcome visitors & guests: Tiffany with St. Lukes; Delta James with City of McCall
- Treasurer’s report (ACTION ITEM): Need to ask Julie if $5,000 went to the general fund instead of the Executive Director. Will have first county contribution October 14. Adams County has not made determination yet but are in communication. Discussed other contributions. Cynda moved to approve the Treasurer’s Report, Linnea seconded, motion carried.
- Approval of August minutes (ACTION ITEM): Dillon moved to approve the minutes, Patty seconded, motion carried.
- Letters/requests (ACTION ITEMS)
o Marta 18 homes in Cascade (proxy last week): Marta Frost asked for letter talking to the need for housing for underwriting. Letter has been submitted.
o Donnelly pathways Lake to Town Flyway: Brett Shepherd is asking for a letter of support for general pathways in the area from Dawn DR to Donnelly. Patty moved to approve, Lindsay seconded, motion carried.
- Community reports: Cascade, Donnelly, McCall, New Meadows, Valley County: Cascade is still working with the River District. There was no news from Donnelly, except Donnelly 80 may be seeing some movement from a developer. McCall has lots of upgrades to Jasper Subdivision, art on the Lardo Bridge. New Meadow’s main street is done, will be doing a facelift, and WCMHT may seek new members moving forward.
- Census marketing update–flyers/outreach: $137 is going for the creation of a flyer. The rest of the $200 allocation will go for Facebook outreach in February.
- Regional co-working spaces for EDC/area nonprofits update on grants and space options: We have a spot everywhere except McCall. Look for 400-600 feet. Have applied for an ICF Grant for $5,000.
- Thank you letter team: Nicole will do after the summit.
- Packer John Tree voucher Idaho Power: Thank you to Idaho Power who donated $200 for trees at Packer John in memory of Alvin Hall.
- Review of case statements for website and collateral (ACTION ITEM): Andrew read the Yellow Pine and Northlake case studies; Cascade; Property Tax Exemption; etc. All agreed they were okay.
- Business attraction update–McCall Airport potential: Discussed potential new business for a total of 28 employees.
- Fundraising update: Sherry said Tamarack asked us to come back mid-winter; will meet with Brundage.
- Daycare, Si Bueno and Labor Office closures in McCall; new breakfast/lunch place in Cascade: The daycare and Si Buenos closed in McCall. Need to do some business outreach for child care and create a resource page on the website.
o Packer John revitalization TBD this fall–will include a recreational component
o NPS recreational/trails assistance: should know in September if we received the grant.
o Yellowpine: excavation done. Waiting on Willie and their engineer for additional information.
o Northlake: Project will likely happen next year, but design is starting this winter.
o Shelton Foundation: revised the request to be for one year instead of 3.
- Economic Summit update
o Final details/update
▪ program printing: in print.
▪ last minute sponsors: approximately $13,000 so far.
▪ sponsor seat allocations: keynote confirmed
▪ emcee duties: Gary and Renee
- Strategy 1 – JOBS
o Sept. 13 Labor/WDC event in McCall: Andrew will assist; workforce woes; 10:30 to noon at McCall Library.
- Strategy 2 – EDUCATION
o See above
- Strategy 3 – INFRASTRUCTURE/ASSETS
o Approval of MOU on Fiber/pathways (ACTION ITEM) – Andrew read letter proposing the recommendation. Cynda moved to approve, Lindsay seconded, motion carried.
o Recycling update–New Meadows and Valley County opportunities: presented to New Meadows City Council.
- Strategy 4- PROSPERITY
o Business engagement update
- Round Table, Upcoming Events & Public Comments
Meeting Adjourned at 5:30